Friday, September 12, 2008

Friendship is Eternal
Imagine having the opportunity to possess limitless amounts of money and the ability to do whatever one desires. The TV series “Entourage” depicts a group of friends that move from New York to Los Angeles in order to become famous in the world of Hollywood. The show has become a massive HBO hit, with fans across the world wishing to have the same dreams become their reality. The actor, Vince, becomes a millionaire after producing a hit movie and allows three of his closest friends to live off of his earnings. The show allows me to dream up new thoughts of one day being able to live as their group lives. The series is an important part of media content in that it shows the lives of movie stars as well as depicting friendship at its finest.
The lives of movie stars are constantly depicted to the rest of society through numerous forms of media. Novels, videos, newspapers, magazines, and even TV shows attempt to portray this luxurious lifestyle. “Entourage” shows how one man becomes famous and has the financial means as a movie star to purchase a mansion and cars for the use of all of his friends. Vince is able to have any girl he sees walking the street which is constantly reminded to the viewer throughout each episode. This representation of an actor proves to me that not all actors or wealthy people in general are very uptight about money. Vince is so passionate about his movies that he even uses his life savings and house to help purchase a script that ends up becoming a complete failure. This simple motive has changed my whole mindset about life, making me care more about fulfilling my own personal dreams rather than simply seeking monetary gains. The show also attempts to detail the blood-thirsty business world of Hollywood where anyone will make crooked deals to gain movies and wealth. This discloses one negative aspect to viewers, showing that it is very difficult to live successfully as an actor.
The show gives an excellent description of true friendship values. I would argue in favor of this media text in that the show promotes the idea that a person should hold friendships and values higher than fancy cars. After watching the end of each season, I have learned a lot about how I would like to live the rest of my life. Most people go through life losing most friends and only dedicating life to the pursuit of wealth and promotion of their own ambitions. “Entourage” encourages people should keep friends so close that even in drastic situations everyone can live together.
The series “Entourage” yields a multitude of values that help identify the person that I am and desire to become. A form of media has influenced my opinions and has even gone so far as to impress my thoughts enough to desire similar characteristics. In all reality, the series was able to show me how to emulate a character I find to be very personable and respectful.

1 comment:

pcoursen3 said...

I enjoyed dwestee's view on Entourage. Although I've never seen the show, it sounds very interesting and unique. It represents a connection between media, friendship, and success, and how all three of these things can co-exist, and even thrive. I would have liked to read some more about the downsides to the arrangement on Entourage, but other than that, this blog was very well made.